There are over 12,500 species of insects and arachnids found in Florida. In fact, it is believed that about 500 species of insects are found only in Florida! Some of these pests bite and sting, others spread dangerous diseases and some of them cause structural damage to your home or business. Many of these pests are considered invasive species that caught a free ride to Florida aboard freighters or were intentionally introduced to control invasive plants or other insects. But one thing is for sure; whether native or invasive; Florida is crawling with pests!
The knowledgeable experts at PestMax list five of the most common pests found in Florida
- Tick Control: The United States is home to over 80 species of ticks. Ticks can carry disease and cause serious illnesses including Lyme disease. They can be found on your pets, who are often the culprits for bringing ticks into your home. The experts at PestMax recommend treating your pets regularly with flea and tick control and carrying tick repellent when staying outside for any period of time. Some of the most common tick species found in Florida are the American dog tick and Gulf Coast tick.
- How to Get Rid of Fleas: Fleas are typically most active during the spring and summer, but with Florida’s temperate climate, fleas thrive year round. Just like ticks, fleas carry disease and are most often found on household pets that unwittingly carry them into our homes. Frequent flea control treatment is necessary to keep them at bay.
- Ants Repellents: If you live in Florida you have probably experienced ants at some point during your residency. Even a spotlessly clean home can fall victim to ant infestations but is less likely to than when crumbs are left on counter tops and dirty dishes. Some of the most common species of ants found in Florida include carpenter ants, red imported fire ants, big-headed ants, Eastern velvet ants and rover ants.
- How to Get Rid of Cockroaches & Palmetto Water Bugs: Cockroaches don’t like to be outside in the wet, cold, heat or when it’s too dry outside; which basically describes your typical Florida weather. With all of these weather variations, you will more than likely see cockroaches in your home. Make sure gaps and cracks are sealed to keep uninvited cockroaches and other bugs out of your living space.
- Termite Control: Termites cause millions of dollars’ worth of damage each year to homes across the United States. The two termites that damage homes in Florida are the Drywood termite and the subterranean termite.
Other Pests Found in Florida Include:
Many other common pest species found in Florida include large Carolina wolf spiders, venomous Southern black widow spiders, Eastern carpenter bees, biting yellow flies, and occasional invaders such as Southern mole crickets.
Pest Inspections, Prevention, Control & Removal in Naples, Estero, Bonita Springs & Fort Myers Florida
As PestMax is a locally owned and operated pest control company, our pest technicians not only work here but they live and raise families here as well. We are familiar with all the local pest species we battle with in Fort Myers, Naples and surrounding areas of Florida and understand that the pests here are ever-changing. Our team at PestMax continues to receive certifications and training in a variety of areas related to pest control. Our focus on continuing education displays our ability to thrive in an evolving pest market and we are prepared for whatever pests try to invade our Great State of Florida next!